Here are 7 tips to help you prepare:
1. Unplug all of your electrical devices and move them to the highest floor of your home.
2. Gather all your favorite photos, scan them, and save them on a memory card you can take with you if you evacuate.
3. Stay on top of the latest weather warnings and flood areas by downloading a reliable app such as “AccuWeather”.
4. Drinking water can become a scarcity quickly. Pack water purifying devices that can purify rain, river or puddle water for drinking.
5. Keep your car's gas tank topped off at all times. During an emergency, fuel shortages are common. You also may not have time to stop and get gas.
6. Don't forget your pets. Keep freeze-dried pet food and a collapsible water bowl ready to go.
7. Keep inflatable life jackets with you. If massive flooding is a possibility, make sure each member of the family has one, as well as each of your pets.
For more information on preparing for a natural disaster, contact your EAP: